Today I'm emotional. No, I'm not
PMS'ing. I was looking through old pictures of my yard, and came across a bunch from when I started my front yard garden- a year ago. I didn't even realize that it has officially been a year since I've started this project, and all of a sudden I'm proud (ecstatic!) of what I've accomplished in such a short period of time. Sure, if I was rich I could lay down some major coin and have someone else do it all for me in a weekend- but I wouldn't be as attached to it as I am now, because I did it myself.

May 19
th, 2009 we started with having a bunch of old trees removed. Before you bash me for having trees removed, you have to understand they were 60 year old Modesto Ash trees, heavily infested with
mistle toe. Modesto Ash have a lifespan of 50 years, their time was over.

This was all of the lawn I used to have. Now, keep in mind, this is only my side yard. For those of you who are lawn lovers, I still have plenty! But this entire section is now gone. And I don't miss it.

Last fall we started with having the fence built, and the 10 feet on the outside of the fence had its lawn removed. Thanks to neighborhood
CCR's, this is where I had to put my fence, and this is as tall as my fence could be. Last fall I put in a bunch of plants out here, along with six citrus trees. This picture was taken December 7
th, 2009, after we got snow. In Sacramento. Yes, I know my
Christmas light/sheet covered citrus trees are ugly to look at from the road, but they MADE IT. They are all still alive! It's worth it to me to have a few neighbors turn their noses up at me in order to save these trees. Not many of the other plants I planted in this section made it.

Here we're at March 21st, 2010. You might recognize this picture from my
Ugly Garden post. This is still much more prettier than the lawn I had before. This is what we jokingly referred to as
Xeriscaping. It has changed quite a bit over the past two months.

It's now May 23rd, 2010. No more lawn, no more plain dirt. Our garden is started. It has a long ways to go before it is the picture that I have in my head, but gosh darn it I am so proud of it! This used to be several thousand square feet of lawn that we never walked on....but now....

now we have Tomato Alley.... where you will find several varieties of tomatoes that should last us through the summer- such as Great White, Black
Krim, Mr. Stripey, Black Cherry, and Japanese Black
Trifele. The tomatoes are mixed in with various peppers and herbs- like sage, cilantro, tons of basil (can you ever have too much basil?), cumin, and black sesame.

And on the street side the citrus are doing awesome. Here we have Chandler
pummelo, Yosemite Gold mandarin,
Owari Satsuma mandarin, Red Rio grapefruit,
Midknight Valencia orange, and a
Bearss lime. Plant-wise we'll have year round color- starting with the citrus in the winter, followed by the poppies, daffodils,
lavender, and irises in the spring, with a variety of
coneflowers,
gaillardia,
achillea,
sedum, and
salvia's taking us from summer to fall.

The biggest reward would be that we're actually enjoying the space now. We never even walked over to this side of the yard before, we just kind of ignored it. Now, we come out here every evening. I think we'll enjoy it more once we install french doors on this side of the house (now we have to walk around the house to get here), and I think it will look much nicer once we install the patio and walkways (I mulched them as a temporary measure). Arbors over the gates covered in climbing roses will help add some vertical height, as will the Garden Prince almond tree, the Fuji apple, and the two
pomegranate trees that are also planted in here. But, if I finished all of that now, what would I have to work on in 2011?
What a wonderful garden! Envy you being able to grow citrus.
ReplyDeleteIt looks lovely! Congratulations on taking a piece of land you never used and turning it into a family attraction. I'm sure your neighbors appreciate it too! Great design!
ReplyDeleteSo, so smart to take photos. It's easy to forget what it looked like before, and I think photos help us to see what we've accomplished. Looking at yours, that's a lot! Congratulations on all of the hard work and the ability to appreciate it with those great red chairs.
ReplyDeleteYou have done truly amazing things in just one year! This really gives me hope that maybe it won't take forever to transform our garden. Thanks for sharing the pics, you're right to be proud.
ReplyDeleteNice job! Looks great and you will reap the rewards of all you've done (so far and more to come) for years and years.
ReplyDeleteThat's impressive! Much better use of the space. It's going to look even better when it fills in a bit more too.
ReplyDeleteWonderful job, your garden by this time next year will be B E A U T I F U L : )
ReplyDeleteIt's fun to see how far it's come in the last year. You should be immensely proud of what you've accomplished!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see it again!
ReplyDeleteI love the before and after! You did some great work!
ReplyDeleteGreat job mama! Just amazing how great it looks.
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome job! (And what a huge wide open lawn you used to have!)
ReplyDeleteI Love before and after shoots. Thanks for sharing this on twitter so I could click on over. You have been working super hard on your garden. I see you have a little helper. Enjoy the time you have with her in the garden... they grow like weeds!
ReplyDeleteHappy Spring - you are going to enjoy this garden in the summer as your hard work will pay off.
Looks wonderful!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comments everyone! I am super excited to see how it fills out over the next couple of months. There's a nice mix of annuals and perennials in this space so hopefully there will be something to look at year round! This year I went overboard with plants, next year I'll be scaling WAY back, and probably moving a bunch of plants around. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we'll have the irrigation finished, and I can start building the trellises for the squash/cucumbers, AND start staking the tomatoes. Whew!
ReplyDeleteSo there is a light at the end of the tunnel - your post has inspired me and infused me with hope that all my hard work will pay off and we will have the garden we imagined we would. Your garden looks lovely - well done you for doing it yourself. I also want to do my front yard myself. I like feeling close to it.
ReplyDeleteIt looks amazing, and I can't wait to see how it changes and grows over the next year.
ReplyDeleteYou've done a great job and I'm thouroughly envious! Wish I'd been able to talk my parents into re-purposing as much lawn as you!
ReplyDeleteIt's beautiful - you'll be surprised how quickly it fills in!!
ReplyDeleteisn't it fun to make changes? it looks very nice. I can't wait to see how everything looks when it is filled in. Going through this process with my yard as well, only doing the whole yard for the first time. Lovely!
ReplyDeleteWhere did you find the cool red chairs!?!!?
ReplyDelete