Friday, May 7, 2010

Front Yard Update


It has been a while since I've posted about my front yard project. It's not because nothing is happening! I'm out there every chance I get- pulling weeds, watering (since the irrigation isn't done yet), shoving plants into the ground, and harvesting our bounty (which right now is just the artichokes and various herbs).

Clearly it's a DIY project, and I'm not a landscape designer. That being said, I'm pretty proud of it so far. There's a nice mix of edibles and ornamentals, and my daughter LOVES it- so I have accomplished what I set out to do.

What a difference 6 months can make. The bark pathway that I did today on the left is the same exact bark that I use on the slope to the right, last summer. I actually can't wait until some of the red color disappears from the cedar, I prefer it when it has aged.

The outside section of the fence continues to fill in slowly. Maybe slower than I had hoped, as I had hoped to barely see the fence by now. Give it another couple of months though, this strip is heavily planted with rudbeckia, autumn joy sedum and coneflowers that will fill in this summer and provide some additional snacks this fall to the birds.
Now for question time. Does anyone know what these are? A neighbor dropped them off at my house. She said they have an orange flower, and what we're seeing now is the leftover seed pods. I have no clue where to put them since I don't know what they are! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking amazing! I can't wait to see more pics as it grows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That unknown plant may be watsonia.
    http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/plant_profiles/Watsonia_meriana.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carri, I am still super jealous of all you have done in your garden. I sure wish I had more than a couple months of garden time around here. Whenever I check your blog I feel like a lazy gardener because I never get near as much done as you. :)

    PS. TOTALLY LOVE YOUR FENCE!

    ReplyDelete