Last year I wrote a blog post about sprucing up my grandparents garden. My grandma was suffering from ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) and spent most of her time indoors. I wanted to give her something pretty to look at through the window, but I also want to try and encourage her to go outside. Hummingbird and bird feeders made her backyard really popular with the local wildlife. I split up a lot of plants from my own yard to help keep the costs down, and Farmer Fred was also generous with plants from his own garden. I was able to fill in their entire backyard with a variety of plants all for under $50, with over half of that going towards an orange tree for my grandpa. One of the plants that I received from Farmer Fred was an alstroemeria. The chunk he gave me was rather large, and I was able to split it up into several plants and share with other family members (and I kept some for myself too).
This past weekend my mom brought over a bunch of bulbs. Most were bearded irises that had been split up from my grandma's garden many years ago, but some were bulbs that I had planted in my mom's garden several years ago when I didn't have a garden of my own. On her way to my house she had also dropped off some bearded irises for my great aunt and her cousin (I think everyone in my family now has bearded irises!). In return I went through my garden and split up a bunch of my plants for my mom. She took home various kinds of rudbeckia and echinacea, which have happily reseeded themselves all over my garden. She also took home coreopsis, liatris spicata, and I split up that alstroemeria that I got from Farmer Fred again.
So, as you can imagine, I cried. I cried because somehow I had forgotten about how connected my garden is to all of our family and friends, and how thankful I am that so many people have contributed to the beauty that we wake up to every morning. The alstroemeria that I received from Farmer Fred just a year ago is now in four different gardens in my family, and I'm sure it will continue to be divided and planted every time a family member buys a new house (along with bearded irises, of course!). The flowers will continue to make their way to St. Mary's Cemetery where my grandma, great-grandparents, cousins, and great aunts and uncles are buried. Last night before I went to sleep I made sure to send Fred an email to thank him, and to let him now how heavily that plant has become rooted in my family in just a short period of time. I hope I get to make that impact on someone someday. Do you have a plant in your garden that is extra special to you? How about one that has been passed down through generations? I'd love to hear your stories!
beautiful beautiful. I lost my mother almost two years ago, and this year I grieved again when I lost her favorite "Foolish Pleasure" rose, but her beautiful transplanted ruffled pink hemerocallis (daylilies) are flourishing in my garden, and will be moved to a more prominent position in the fall. everywhere I look, I see her, in the birdbath, the hummingbird feeder, the sundial, the planters. she's deeply missed, but lives on in her family and the plants she loved so much.
ReplyDeleteI've got sedums that came from my grandmother's garden many years ago. I can't tell you how many times I've shared them with others. They just keep growing. Love your story. Plants are all the more special when they have a history behind them. Great post.
ReplyDeleteMy story is about a tree and my dad. My father died when I was six, and at that time he worked at Santa Rosa Junior College as the Director of their buildings and grounds. My dad was an outdoorsman, spending his free time fly fishing in the Trinity River and camping among the redwoods. The college had a touching memorial for him after his death, and as a part of it, they had my sisters and me plant a tiny redwood outside his office window. The tree now towers above the building, and I can see it from Highway 101 when I drive home to visit my mom. I never fail to look for the tree and take a moment to remember my dad and his love for nature. I marvel about the passage of time...the world can hurry by, but a lone tree will steadfastly grow straight up to the heavens.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your story Carri
What a beautiful tribute to your family. Thank you for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteGarden gift is more beautiful and useful accessory for your garden decoration.
ReplyDeletegarden gifts