
No, it’s not Christmas. But to a gardener, well, it might as well be. Today is the start of the Spring/Summer growing season for me. I know, to most Americans today is Super Bowl Sunday, but to me, it’s really Super SOW Sunday. Every year my husband has a bunch of guys over to the house, and I’m not allowed in the TV room because I talk too much (no joke). Since I’ve got nothing else to do, I might as well start my seeds right?!
I also pick Super Bowl Sunday because it’s an easy date to remember. Since I’m a forgetful person, having a date to snap a gardening event to makes it easy to remember. I do fruit tree sprays on the holidays- Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Valentines Day. I plant my tomatoes on Farmer Fred’s birthday (April 28th). I plant my peppers out on my mom’s birthday (May 14th). I plant bare root tree’s on MY birthday (January 13th- you just missed it, I forgive you).
So, today while you are sitting on your butt watching football, think about how you might be able to enhance your experience and start this year’s vegetable garden. That way, when your team loses, it won’t feel like you just wasted your entire day!
I also pick Super Bowl Sunday because it’s an easy date to remember. Since I’m a forgetful person, having a date to snap a gardening event to makes it easy to remember. I do fruit tree sprays on the holidays- Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Valentines Day. I plant my tomatoes on Farmer Fred’s birthday (April 28th). I plant my peppers out on my mom’s birthday (May 14th). I plant bare root tree’s on MY birthday (January 13th- you just missed it, I forgive you).
So, today while you are sitting on your butt watching football, think about how you might be able to enhance your experience and start this year’s vegetable garden. That way, when your team loses, it won’t feel like you just wasted your entire day!
Oh, tomatoes...I prefer them to football by far. Well, truth be told, I prefer almost anything to football, including snow. But yeah, I know, it's soon seed sowing time here too, so I share your excitement. (Go, New Orleans!)
ReplyDeleteHappy late birthday! I was seed starting on Superbowl Day too. :o)
ReplyDelete