
Ahhh....much better! Even if I don't do a thing to this space for months, it looks a heck of a lot better than the dead grass and weeds that were here just days ago! The fence and lawn removal project that I
was told was going to take two days has actually taken four. I’m not complaining though- there’s no way I’d be outside in 100+ degree weather pulling out sod (oh wait, I’ve actually done that before! Lessons learned!). Yesterday when I got home from work I finally got to see the lawn removed- and what a difference it makes! The size of the space is MASSIVE, as you might be able to tell with my pint-sized daughter standing in some of the pictures.
The dirt area you see in the pictures will be amended and covered with shredded bark this Sunday. I’m lucky to have some pretty awesome people in my life to help me with the manual labor, even on a day that’s supposed to be a scorching 100 degree’s. My hope is to gather enough friends to help me knock out the work in record time, before the sun hits us too hard! Needless to say, the freezer will be STOCKED with iced mugs for all of us to enjoy a nice frosty beer afterward.

Once the area is amended and mulched I’ll have the difficult task of actually designing the space. I’m not a landscape designer by any means, but since this is such a huge space that takes up over half of my front yard, I want it to be a little more planned out. I have about a hundred plants arriving the second week in October, in addition to the twenty or so plants I currently have in the backyard in pots (they’re waiting patiently for their moment to shine). I guess I better invest in some graph paper and start planning!
was told was going to take two days has actually taken four. I’m not complaining though- there’s no way I’d be outside in 100+ degree weather pulling out sod (oh wait, I’ve actually done that before! Lessons learned!). Yesterday when I got home from work I finally got to see the lawn removed- and what a difference it makes! The size of the space is MASSIVE, as you might be able to tell with my pint-sized daughter standing in some of the pictures.The dirt area you see in the pictures will be amended and covered with shredded bark this Sunday. I’m lucky to have some pretty awesome people in my life to help me with the manual labor, even on a day that’s supposed to be a scorching 100 degree’s. My hope is to gather enough friends to help me knock out the work in record time, before the sun hits us too hard! Needless to say, the freezer will be STOCKED with iced mugs for all of us to enjoy a nice frosty beer afterward.

Once the area is amended and mulched I’ll have the difficult task of actually designing the space. I’m not a landscape designer by any means, but since this is such a huge space that takes up over half of my front yard, I want it to be a little more planned out. I have about a hundred plants arriving the second week in October, in addition to the twenty or so plants I currently have in the backyard in pots (they’re waiting patiently for their moment to shine). I guess I better invest in some graph paper and start planning!
Wahoo, it's really shaping up! Now I'm going to have Violent Femmes playing in my head all day. [wild dancing]
ReplyDeleteWhat fun you will have! A new project is always exciting to me. Keep us posted.
ReplyDeleteWow, that is quite an undertaking! It's going to look fantastic! I so wish I could strip all my dead lawn out in one massive project. Hopefully some day! I look forward to enjoying your progress from afar.
ReplyDeleteCongrats! And that was hard work they did this hot week. Good luck this weekend, and with your design. We are still looking at dead lawn and talking about sod removal and a cover crop, as we are completely stalled on design. Will you inspire us?
ReplyDelete