Those of you who listen to my garden rants know that I like to complain about the pests that frequent my yard. Those pests can include my tomato-eating dog, Romie, or the gazillion aphids, whiteflies and mosquitoes that buzz around. The truth is, some of these pests have made me a better gardener and have exposed me to plants (such as California natives) and methods that I may have overlooked before. Using plants that attract beneficial insects has kept some of my pest problems under control, but there is one pest that I really struggle with, a super annoying fur ball that we so cleverly named Mr. Squirrel (very original, eh? Chip or Dale would have been too obvious).Those of you who don’t try to grow your own food are probably saying “Oh, isn’t he cute?!” No, not really, especially if you are trying to grow your own fruits and vegetables! This guy wipes out every single sunflower I try to grow, not to mention the trail of orange and fig peels that he likes to leave all over my lawn. Don’t get me started on the headache he causes every year in spring when I try to transplant my seedlings into the garden, and then he goes in and digs them all up
while I’m at work. Or there was that one time that he teased the dog and made her yank out an entire teepee of green beans as she tried to get to him. Yeah, it would appear that we weren’t on very good terms.The truth is, as much as I complain about him, I’d hate to see him leave. We’ve been lucky enough to have the same squirrel live in an old lobbed off Italian Cypress tree for a few years now. He used to have a partner, but for the last two years it’s only been him (not sure if she left him for another squirrel, or if he’s widowed, I didn’t want to ask in case it’s a sensitive subject). I don’t know of anyone else that could say they’ve had the same squirrel living with them for a long period of time. I’m not really sure why he picked us, but I kind of feel special that he did. He chases away other squirrels because he’s pretty protective over his garden, and he provides our dog with hours of entertainment (they’re kind of like Tom and Jerry taking turns chasing each other).
Each year I would watch my Mammoth sunflowers disappear one by one. He’d steal them before they even flowered, leaving behind a stalk with a couple of leaves that were lucky enough to be spared by his claws. Last year I decided I would just plant MORE in order to get a couple for us, but that still didn’t work. This year I decided to take a
different approach. I planted tons of sunflowers around his tree- Mammoth, Autumn Beauty, Velvet Queen and Lemon Queen (in case he likes variety, of course). I also added a couple strawberry and squash plants that are mingling below the sunflowers. My thought is if I give him so much food that he doesn’t even have to leave his tree, he’ll never really have a reason to venture to the raised beds and cause chaos (because he’d be too fat to move). And of course in other various areas of the yard I planted more sunflowers for US (hopefully).Last weekend we came home to our first empty stalk. It was one that was right next to his tree, where he literally was able to yawn, roll on his side, and swipe it probably pretty effortlessly. It’s still too early to determine if this approach is going to work, for all I know thousands of other squirrels may move in if Mr. Squirrel gets too fat to chase them off. In the meantime, I’ll try to concentrate on appreciating Mr. Squirrel for who he is and try to understand that he has a place in this world; more specifically he has a place in our yard.
UPDATE: Wow, first time I've had to update a blog! So- I wrote the piece about Mr. Squirrel last night, and this morning we woke up to our first sunflower. I had to do a little happy dance first, then ran to get the camera before it disappeared. By the comments I've already received I have to confess- we have it pretty easy here. We have tons more squirrels in the front yard- that Mr. Squirrel doesn't chase away, and those guys haven't done too much damage. We do have problems with rats (thanks to the neighbors ivy and our fruit tree's), but having a 75 pound dog scares away a lot of the pests. Raccoons, possums, skunks, rabbits, chickens, ducks, and even wild turkeys- all make their way through our neighborhood, causing minimal damage to my front yard. I feel pretty fortunate that we don't have to battle it out with voles or deer- I would be heartbroken to see all of my hard work go to waste!
I admire your zen attitude to the squirrel. What amazes me is that you have just ONE squirrel, and that he can wreak this much havoc. He is certainly cute, and obviously well-fed. Sort of sad to think of a lonely widower squirrel. I'd be putting out a buffet for him too.
ReplyDeleteIn our neighborhood though, we have roving squirrel gangs.
What gets me is when you try to live peaceably with them, even doling out their own chow, they go for the gusto, as this fellow is doing with you.The noive!
I've been doing the same thing: Doling out food to distract them from the stuff I want them to leave. Limited success with this technique.
Used to curse them, but now I'm accepting them a little bit more.
I have possums, raccoons, cats, and mice, but no squirrels. Weird, huh? I would be sad if my sunflowers got snatched.
ReplyDeleteMy neighborhood had few trees when I moved here, so no squirrels to speak of. But as the trees have grown, the squirrels have begun to send advance scouts to see if there is enough food and shelter to sustain them. They've planted a few walnuts in my yard here and there, which have come up, and they gave the bird feeder a test ride. But so far, they have left the garden alone. It could be that the rabbits chased them off!
ReplyDeleteOh, sweet Limes.
ReplyDeleteI weep for you, and you know that I know exactly how you feel. Why are we so tormented, when all we are trying to do is grow a little food for our families? You are a better person than I am; you try and work with your Mr. Squirrel, and it seems like you've incorporated him into your family.
I am sick to death of my vole. He ate every single eggplant this week- they were so purple and beautiful! Now that the artichokes, green beans, fennel, cucumbers, and eggplant are gone, he is turning his attention back to the tomatoes. The HavaHeart traps suck. They trap nothing - and I have no more heart. Nor do I have any vegetables!
The strategy now is to empty out the raised beds as he destroys all the plantings they contain, line the bottom with chickenwire, and re-fill. I am crossing my fingers that this approach works even a tiny bit.
I also have squirrels, but they seem happy to stay on top of the fence and throw green peaches at me while I garden. They are in on this cosmic joke.
Sigh.
If I only had one squirrel, I could probably deal with it. But I'm being swarmed! I posted an organic squirrel control I found and think I'll try to find. You spray it on the ground around your plants and only have to reapply every 30 days, so I'm interested in trying it.
ReplyDeleteLove the squirrel.
ReplyDeleteWe had a woodchuck near-resident. He spent many hours in the undercarriage of our car, I suppose on some mission of industrial espionage. Sadly, he moved away one day when I had to drive the car with him up under the hood somewhere. I saw him climb down in a parking lot, run around for a while, and then climb up into the undercarriage of another car - same model, different parking space. That was years ago, and I still miss the scamp.
Enjoy the squirrel while you have him.
squirrels are the Devil's Army.... seriously.
ReplyDeleteMr. Squirrel definitely has that "well-nourished" look! I'm glad your strategy is working so far. We have just a few squirrels and they are content to strip our walnut trees.
ReplyDeleteWe have about 900,000 squirrels at times. We have 5 big oak trees in the front yard & about 5-6 trees in the back, so it is constantly active with squirrels.
ReplyDeleteWe haven't had to deal with much ill will towards the garden... YET. We have seen a few sprouts get taken down, but overall - they are staying away.
It might have something to do with the giant ghost dog we have running around out back.
Maybe.
Also... we just did the whole, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em with our birds. HOLY HELL they can cover a car with crap in no time though!
"not sure if she left him for another squirrel, or if he’s widowed, I didn’t want to ask in case it’s a sensitive subject"
ReplyDeleteLOL, LOL, LOL.
One year we had a family of squirrels with 3 youngsters in our back yard. They were very, very entertaining, using the kids play set as their very own workout gym. The only problem was when they became adolescents and very bored on a rainy day. Then they decided to chew not only our deck railings but also the windowsill which is made of concrete siding material!
ReplyDeleteI've not had trouble with squirrels eating my garden, but the rabbits became a problem this spring after our neighbor's cat passed away. However I seem to have found a solution to that which is working.
I do admire your approach to your squirrel.
I recently watched a sunflower being devoured by a gopher. Of course, you couldn't see him. The sunflower was swaying violently, which was pretty funny. I like the one furry obnoxious pest per garden rule. Have you divided the Crocosmia?
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete